Sunday, January 01, 2006

あけましておめでとう

Happy New year everyone! We held our breath and counted down and then.... erm.... the anticlimaxical happens. I never understood the rationale for counting down anyway, the only thing extraordinary is the date and the fact that the next day would be a holiday. Nonetheless it was really enjoyable having Shabu-shabu steamboat with the Chinese folks, Partying at A block with the JTW students, and counting down with the Qiang who came all the way from Singapore! Its not the first time I spent New Years Eve away from home ( Y2k in Bangkok, 2004 in KL i think) but nonetheless this year i really really missed my friends back home, and friends screaming "hello James! Wish you were here" in unison when I made the trunk calls back home didnt make me feel any less homesick. Not that I wasnt having a blast here, its just that i wish I was there with them as well. Oh well.

The next few days were spent visiting some of my Japanese friends at their homes. I have been really fortunate I think, but really broke after buying all those really expensive new year gifts! Chihiro invited a few of us to her place and I was surprised to find out that her Mom was a Kimono teacher. Well before anyone blinks at that I have to tell u that even folding a kimono and storing it away is an art in itself. It was really an eye opener to see....so many kimonos, especially the really expensive ones can cost more than an imported European car.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I will upload more pics when Chihiro finally sends them to me. haha.
Anyway, to all those who understand

Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year old friend
Will miss you at our annually CNY gathering this year...

Nvrmind, there's always nxt yr right?

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey James! happy new year! nice photos of beppu.. :) Lucky u got to visit a japanese home during New year.. me still terribly sick.. Sigh.. So when do u wanna come visit Kyoto? I wanna visit u too! :)

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home