Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Being taken care of

I don't regret not tripping around Kyushu with Rakesh, Boey and Joan because this experience was really memorable. A weekend homestay with the Shimizu family.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kouji san!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kawaii Nephew and Uncle
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Obaasan making yaki-onigiri

These were taken during the family BBQ at their garden. A chilly autumn evening, with grilled meats, red wine, and spent with really accomodating people. That was simply tanoshikatta. The Shimizus are really nice people. My Japanese is terrible, and I stutter so much when I speak, but they still take the effort to communicate with me, and teach me Jap as well. When they found out that I was into all things Jap, they showed me photos of traditional Jap clothes, told me about upcoming festivities and Jap traditional carnivals, and invited me to many gatherings with friends over the weekend, and somehow I managed to communicate with my limited Japanese. It was amazing, spending a whole weekend speaking just Jap, bathing Japanese style for the first time (you wash, scrub and clean yourself before you soak in the bathtub ofuro. I was meticulous because I think it would be embarrassing leaving even a single strand of hair floating in the communal tub. +P

They brought me on a drive around Fukuoka at night, to visit one of the highest shrines in the city, and I was sortof reminded of Fort Canning Hill, but with a spectacular view of the hole of Fukuoka city.

And I tried my hand at making Takoyaki (Takopachi to those in Singapore), those round balls with fresh octopus, as well, and met more Japanese people. I am really encouraged to study harder for Jap so I can communicate more fluently with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home