Friday, October 21, 2005

Singaporean meets Tempuraman

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Say hello to the NUS Law Moot team Rakesh and Joan who was in Fukuoka for the International Space Law Symposium 2005 Well, Lim Lei Theng came along too, and I was surprised to see her so pregnant. Wooh. Anyway, me and Boey were showing them around Fukuoka the whole of last week, while they prepared for their moot, which they won Best Memorial and Best Speaker, not bad!

Anyway, this was the day after the moot, and we went to this really unpretentious tempura restaurant in Daimyo for an inexpensive meal of deep fried delicacies! The shopowner [featured above] is Nonaka, and he would dip each morsel in batter and deep fry it in front of us, and placing the completed fry on a plate in front of us, so it was piping hot and deliciously crispy. I have never had tempura served to me in this manner before. Usually it would be fried beforehand and served all at once, not piece by piece, so this was a real treat. We had Moriawase Teishoku, a nice mixture of fried prawns, vegetables and fish for 850 Yen. Not expensive, really.

The Fukuoka Now magazine [which I base my entertainment activities on] described Nanoka as looking like a pretty serious chap who was actually very friendly and welcoming to foreigners. Well, Joan would beg to differ, because, initially not very hungry and wanted to share with us, but as soon as her chopsticks hit boey;s tempura, Nanoka said NO SHARING! and she decided to get her own set as well. Haha, wonder if it had anything to do with her spilling the green tea over the counter. Haha. Anyway they should be busy triapsing all over Kyushu now.... not sure whether they are in Kumamoto or Nagasaki as I type this, but I decided not to join them and go for a homestay program instead, which I would update about later once I have edited the pictures into manageable sizes. Takes alot of work you know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home