Friday, July 14, 2006

A day in Tokyo

Woke up early to visit Tsukiji Fish Market in the early hours of dawn

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Check out the size of that tuna, on its way to become sashimi

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After a nice meal of sashimi and fish soup, I took the train (unlimited train pass today) to nice Ebisu, where the Sapporo Beer factory and Yebisu Beer Museum was, for some nice beer sampling

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

400 Yen buys you this sampler of Light Beer, Beer, Ale and Stout, all Yebisu, which according to Antonio, is the best beer in Japan. Really?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That was my lunch. Slightly tipsy, I went to examine contemporary photography at the Tokyo Photography Museum. I am letting out a secret here. How I improve my photography skills without going for courses: i get myself inspired.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Curator's Choice, and Photojournalism in war-torn areas just put my pleasure-centric blog to shame.

Next stop: (the famed) Roppongi Hills, where the seriously rich (by Japanese standards) reside. It baffles me why they installed something so hideously monstrous in one of the best addresses in town. or maybe its just me and my inherent dislike of spiders

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ergh. Next.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After studying the Japanese Legal System for a year, it makes sense to actually go visit the Parliament house. (Just like how I went inside the Osaka High Court and sat in to witness a trial) Its open to commoners for tours, you just have to register

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The National Diet Building (House of Councillors) aka Parliament House for clueless Singaporeans. The interior was opulent, to say the least, but I didn't want to run the risk of being thrown out, hence the lack of indoor photos.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Propaganda Van, outside the House of Councillors
Broadcasting anti-governmental propaganda (about the North Korea issue), the van was making its rounds around Nagata-cho (where all the governmental buildings are) really puts Singapore's speakers corner to shame. This is something I will never be able to see at home. However, spotting the blue policevan and the watchful policeman tailing the vehicle just goes to prove that even in countries where political freedom of speech is allowed, a certain level of survelliance still exists. Should I even be surprised. Playing nationstates.net for so long, I know that unlimited political freedoms lead to Anarchy. Then again, how much to limit, that is the balance that has to be reached. How balanced is my country? Buy me coffee and I will tell you.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Night falls, along Ginza... the very name conjures up images of luxury & wealth. Ironically, I had dinner at Yoshinoya in Ginza, one of the cheapest eats around.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

With my Juniors. Read below:
Heading back to the youth hostel early (as I had a morning flight to catch the next day), I was using the computer in the common area when I heard an unmistakable Singaporean accent. And 3 of them, no less. So, me being me, grabbed them and went for drinks at the Khaosan pub. One of them happens to be my junior from law school back home! What are the odds. She promises she will study hard and come to Japan to do an exchange like me. Good.

Mildly intoxicated, with a flight to catch at 9am the next day, but it was a SWELL DAY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home